Saturday, November 17, 2007

Music Downloads

I just read this in Yahoo news. The headline reads, "Companies fail to block music threat." If you download music from the internet to your computer or are on any network type websites, read this article.



LONDON (Reuters) - Most companies do not stop staff from downloading music from the Internet, despite the risks posed to work computers, a survey has found.

Two-thirds of IT managers polled said they do not block employees from taking music off the Web, even though they named it as the biggest threat.

In a poll of more than 1,000 computer managers by ICM, music came top of the list of perceived threats.

More than half said they feared that music files and other security threats could spread viruses that may lead to fraud or damage corporate computer networks.

Other top 5 threats included staff visiting popular social networking Web sites such as Bebo, MySpace and Facebook.

Internet security firm McAfee, which commissioned the survey, said bosses have the tricky task of protecting computers and stopping time-wasting, while upholding staff morale.

"Ultimately, those polled believe this could have a significant financial risk," McAfee said in a statement.

(Reporting by Peter Griffiths; Editing by Steve Addison)





On a side note: here are some very intense music instructors Christmas shopping.

8 comments:

Janell said...

Odd! It seems that those social sites like Myspace and the others would pose a much bigger threat than the downloading music ones! Do they mean the ones where you don't pay, like Napster? Or the ones like iTunes? I think if people are downloading music they should definitely be paying!!!!!
Also, I'm really glad you liked those musicians I told you about! Aren't they awesome?! (For those of you reading, I'm referring to my favorite performers: Maksim, Bond, William Joseph, and Lucia Micarelli.) They are similiar to Yanni, in that they are classicaly trained and add "beats" to their music. It's like rock/classical. Very strange but beautiful and exciting mix!
Lucia Micarelli is probably the most well-trained musician. She graduated from Julliard at 18, just a few years ago. She tours with Josh Groban, but made her own album, and joined the awesome pianist William Joseph. I really like "Kashmir". It's such a cool piece!
"Bond" is an all-girl group, of string quartet. They are very flashy...I'm not sure how much talent goes in to their music, but I like most of it.
Maksim is neat, I don't know much about him. I'm glad you'll write an article on him! I like his "Croation Raphsody" and "Cubana Cubana" pieces the best!

Music Eloquence said...

The article didn't say. I will check into it though.

Okay... so I put you as a link on my page. Does it not allow me (the blog owner or whatever) to click on the link to get to your site or what? I typed in your address the way its supposed to go: dudettegazette.blogspot.com
THIS IS SOOOO FRUSTRATING!!!

Now you try it.

Music Eloquence said...

JANELL>>>>>>> IT WORKED THIS MORNING!!!!!!! For whatever reason it wasn't letting me click on my own bookmarks/links. Okay... so now it is. Thanks for your help. Whew, I'm a slow learner or this computer is slow. lol

Vonney said...

Hey girly! Looks like you are in a craft store! Whatcha makin'?

Janell said...

hahahahha! Computers are finicky at times! Once in a while mine acts up and is silly. For example, I have a business email account through hotmail. For some reason, I can't check it after about 10pm till the morning. The website just never comes up! Weird, huh?! LOL!! Anyway, glad you got me added! yay!! =)

Music Eloquence said...

Vonney (Nelly is going to think I'm talking about myself... haha.. our former piano teacher used to call me "Vonney" and Nelly has called me that ever since... lol)

Actually we're in Homegoods shopping for Christmas presents. Lots of fun. I love that store.

James Wilder said...

Von De Leigh....you are Vondie...you know, Vonney and Blondie mixed. Cmon now, get it right!

On the music subject...it's an open subject to me where I don't think the answer lies in government involvement. Let the market and the industry deal with it. Speaking of artists...when is Vondie coming out with an album? Cmon now....

Say "hey" to Jerms....love you guys!

Music Eloquence said...

James, I guess my reason for posting this article is because many of my music students are into downloading music from internet and I wanted them to realize places like myspace and bebo pose a real threat. I agree with you though, I don't believe government should get involved either.

I will record when I make some moolah. =) Unless you were thinking of financing it....