Thursday, January 3, 2008

"Annie" Review
























Last night our family went and saw the Broadway musical, "Annie". This play fits so perfectly with my blog site so I thought I'd write about it. I love broadways. I have to say "Phantom of the Opera" is my favorite musically, and "Les Miserables" is my favorite for individual solo music. "Annie" is now my favorite for children's music. I learned this past month that "Annie" has won every award that Broadway presents. Charming, witty, yet sorrowfully thought provoking, it was terrific. I cease to be amazed at the talent in children. The Annie character was not only phenomenal in her acting, but also in her singing. But also, her orphan girl friends were just as talented. Their voices were so crystal clear, precisely in tune, and blended astonishingly well with each other. Even their solo voices could have blended with another singer. It was incredible!

A little about this girl called "Annie": her given name is Amanda Balon. She is only 10 years old and has been performing since the age of 2. She won the Broadway award "Best Childstar in a Musical," and was named "Champion Performer of the World" in Hollywood,CA. Her credits include "Annie," "Christmas Carol," "Grinch," "Sound of Music," "Gypsy," "Mary Poppins," and "Cats Jr."

I do not promote professional acting, but I do promote professionalism. God deserves our very best.

Colossians 3:23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
KJV

Here are some pictures of us at the BJCC (Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex) Concert Hall.

3 comments:

Jana Allard said...

The 3rd-5th grades at Blake and Bryn's school are working on a production of "Annie." They asked Bryn to try-out for the role of Annie and we know she could do it. She can sing the entire musical! We refrained, however, from allowing her to participate because she is only in first grade and we felt she would receive criticism and accusations of "partiality" from older students who desired the part. Bryn has watched the DVD so many times and I love to hear her sing "Tomorrow." It is such a cute musical.

Janell said...

Awwwww I LOVE "Annie"!!! That is one of the best plays ever! I saw it on my 23rd birthday and will never forget the outstanding performance. (I've seen it a few other times, but none can compare to that one time) I love the story line, it's so tender and yet melancholy, yet joyful and full of hope. Really touches all of the emotions! Children ARE amazing actors/actresses!

Music Eloquence said...

Sis.Allard, I bet Bryn would do a fabulous job... having the perfect red hair and musical teaching at her fingertips. The others wouldn't have a running chance.
On the other hand, sounds like you're are being a wise parent. That could be too much for such a young child.

Janelly, yes children can be amazing. It seems the younger they start (music/acting/whatever art) that it becomes a part of the fibers who they are in life. I am so glad we started music young.